Friday, December 7, 2012

Morphine: The cheap, effective pain-relief drug denied to millions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20625482

This article was interesting to me because I did not know that Morphine was a cheap drug. Considering how strong and powerful it is I would have thought it would have been one of the more expensive drugs. It is also painful to hear that these people with cancer and being deprived of pain medication. I have been in so much pain before that I was on morphine and if I hadn't of been I have no idea what my outcome would have been. I feel for these people.

"In an open ward at Mulago Hospital in Uganda's capital city, Kampala, an elderly woman named Joyce lies in the fifth bed on the left.
She has twisted the sheets around herself, her face contorted by pain. Joyce's husband, thin and birdlike, hovers over her.
Joyce has cancer - it has spread throughout her body - and until a few days ago, she was on morphine. Then it ran out.
"She's consistently had pain," says a nurse. "And she describes the pain to be deep - kind of into her bones."
The Ugandan government makes and distributes its own morphine for use in hospitals, but poor management means the supply is erratic."

No comments:

Post a Comment